The final edition of the conferences called “The contribution of intermodal transport to efficient supply chains” took place on the 19th of May in the Business Center of Coslada (Centro de Excelencia Empresarial) in Madrid. The event, organized by the Escola Europea de Short Sea Shipping (2E3S) and financed by the training aid of the General Directorate of Land Transport of the Ministry of Public Works and Transport of Spain, aimed to provide a complete vision of the efficiency of supply chains and the use of intermodal transport.
It was the third and final conference of the series in which in total more than 150 people participated. The conferences have been backed by local companies, centers and associations, including Transcalit and the Autonomous Government of Catalonia in Barcelona, the port of Gijon and the University of Ovideo in Gijon and the Spanish Logistics Center (Centro Español de Logística) and ASTIC in Madrid, the conferences. The professionals received qualitative contents and debates, highly specialized and adapted to the realities of the sector.
Overview of the conference
Álvaro Rodríguez, Technical Director of the Spanish State Ports (Puertos del Estado) and Marcos Basante, President of ASTIC, opened the event with welcoming speeches. After that, the director of 2E3S, Eduard Rodés, presented the White Paper on Transport and its relationship to intermodal transport, the motorways of the sea, the railway motorways and the Trans-European Transport Network.
A series of round table discussions followed, which focused on intermodal services, giving the floor to representatives of the sector, followed by a round of questions. The diverse profiles of the speakers made sure that all of the different points of view were covered, and complete analysese were carried out related to each issue:
- Railway motorways, with Miguel de Sanjuan, Business Development Manager at VIIA;
- Motorways of the sea, with Mario Massarotti, Executive Director of Grimaldi Lines;
- Ports infrastructures, with Ana Arévalo, Short Sea Shipping Commercial Manager at the Port of Barcelona;
- Intermodal terminal, with María Pereira, Commercial Director at the Dry Port of Azuqueca;
- Union of Combined Road-Rail Transport Companies: Andrés Herbada, Counselor for TCS TRANSIntegral logistics operator, with Juan Luis Mulero, Sales Executive at Alfil Logistics.
The event finished with a concluding remarks given by Ramón Valdivia, Director General of ASTIC, Emilio Sidera, Governing and Regulations Deputy Director General of the General Directorate of Land Transport (Ministry of Public Works and Transport) and Eduard Rodés.